Spring has sprung! (At least, in some places, right?) Let the summer brainstorming begin! What will we do? Who will we see? And,where shall we go on vacation? But, wait. Money’s tight. Time is short. And, there’s no one to watch the dog or feed the chickens. (Well, some people have them, you know.)
Enter: The newest summer vacation hot-spot…your own backyard! It’s called a “staycation” and it’s bigger than ever, with more and more people choosing to “get away” without actually “going away!” The idea is to take time off and make the most of your local resources, scenery and amenities to enjoy a family “staycation” without the huge expense of an “away trip.” Don’t want to stay in your own house? Get a hotel in the area!
Those who do stay home often replace their “everyday decor” with a theme, such as:
- Beach (shells, ocean sounds, crabfest!)
- Paris,(twinkling lights, Eiffel Tower posters/statues, and French wines!)
- Cottage in the woods,(build a fire, decorate “hunting lodge” style)
- Spa (Homemade sugar scrubs, foot baths and lots of essential oils and heated towels!)
The choices are limited only by your own imagination. Lacking in right-brain creativity? Try Google or Pinterest for ideas! Laying down a few game rules helps make for a great “staycation.” Have a family pow-wow ahead of time to determine what your rules will be.
A few sample rules to get those think-tank wheels turning:
- No answering the phone or using computers for business or mundane reasons (Want to watch a movie on Netflix as part of your fun? Fine! Scrolling Facebook, Twitter or sports news…not so much.)
- Create a special menu and shop (or order) ahead of time. (Think SUMMER VACATION FOODS!)
- Post an itinerary. What jaunts and jollies will you share each day? Museum trips, hiking, swimming, visits to a nearby lake are all good makings for a great staycation. How about a concert? Culture night?(Listen to music, taste foods and explore traditions of another country!) Family sports Olympics? Day trip to a major city? (or the country if you already live in the city!)
You are your own best travel agent! Create the week of your dreams and go for it!
Top Reasons to Staycation this Summer:
- Saves money! (One publication lists the average cost of a VAcation at more than $1,000 per person!)
- No luggage to lug!
- No crowds (unless you want them!)
- Flexibility allowed!
- No need to rest when you get home because you’re already there!
- Less stressful and very family-friendly (the accommodations accept your kids AND your pets!)
A Staycation is also a great opportunity to boost your local economy by patronizing shops, attractions and markets you may not even have realized were there!
Summer is on its way! The latest, greatest vacationing trend is a STAYcation! Grab the leis, breakout the surfboards (oh, and the Beach Boys records, er…cd’s?) and have a fabulous stay-at-home time, sharing laughter, fun, good food, excitement and the-making-of-new-memories and traditions!
One more good thing! It’ll be SUPER easy to reserve the same spot NEXT year!
Judy Dudich resides in the beautiful woods of Pennsylvania, where 24 acres of land and a home-office provide the perfect setting for her children’s home-education and her own homesteading and business ventures. Life is full of blessings (and challenges!) for Judy, as a wife, mother of 10 and Grammy to six. She is a published author, whose book, “I Surrender/A Study Guide for Women” continues to encourage and support others in Christian family lifestyles throughout the world. Judy has also previously worked in the online speaking circuit. Her passion for permaculture, re-purposing, foraging and organic gardening fills her days with learning and adventure that she loves to share.