Wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, piety, fortitude, fear of the Lord – otherwise known as: The Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit.
As I typed the above list, a sweet little tune played in my head. It’s the melody to a little “jingle” if-you-will, that I taught all my children growing up to help them remember these seven wonderful things.
As a Christian, I find the Bible a tremendous font of practical advice for living a healthy, happy life on earth. The seven words with which I began this post can be found in the book of Isaiah.
It’s comforting to know that a loving God infuses the gifts of His Spirit in His people.
Looking at them, one at a time, it’s plain to see that they comprise a full-proof plan for good living:
1) Wisdom – allows us to view the world in relation to its Creator and to understand the proper ordering of material and spiritual things
2) Understanding –helps us to grasp the essence of truth and to see things in a larger context
3) Knowledge – awareness that comes to us from facts, situations and experience
4) Counsel – gives us the ability to defend truth and to guide others according to it
5) Piety –instills in us a great desire to honor and serve our Maker
6) Fortitude – grants us the ability to recognize right choices and the courage to see them through
7) Fear of the Lord – is not the “being scared” type of fear, rather a blessing of being “in awe” of our Father God in heaven
This list is definitely what I’d call “the whole package” “the complete kit and caboodle” that we should never be without on our life journeys. How amazing it would be if these things were the basis of all governance, education, trade, relationships, and service in the world. Talk about game-changers!
Soon, many of us will be planning and preparing for another wonderful Christmas season. Gift-giving is Wouldn’t it be nice if we each would receive these seven gifts that keep giving the whole year through?
Judy Dudich resides in the beautiful woods of Pennsylvania, where 24 acres of land and a home-office provide the perfect setting for her children’s home-education and her own homesteading and business ventures. Life is full of blessings (and challenges!) for Judy, as a wife, mother of 10 and Grammy to six. She is a published author, whose book, “I Surrender/A Study Guide for Women” continues to encourage and support others in Christian family lifestyles throughout the world. Judy has also previously worked in the online speaking circuit. Her passion for permaculture, re-purposing, foraging and organic gardening fills her days with learning and adventure that she loves to share.